Leading as a Christian Husband
1. Our job is to be a spiritual leader, man of courage, conviction, commitment, compassion and character. We are to cultivate a spiritual environment for the family. We are to lead our wives in becoming a woman of God and we are to take the lead in training the children in the things of the Lord. (Psalm 1, Ephesians 5:23-27)
2. We are to fulfill her need for personal affirmation and appreciation. We are to openly commend her in the presence of others as being a wonderful mate and mother. We are to make her feel that to us on one is important in this world. (Proverbs 31:28, Song of Solomon 4:1-7,6:4-9, 7:1-9)
3. We are to fulfill her need of personal affection (romance). We are to shower her with timely and generous displays of affection. We are to tell our wives how much we care for her with words, cards, flowers, gifts and common courtesies. Remember that affection is the environment in which sexual union is enjoyed and a wonderful marriage developed. (Song of Solomon 6:10, 13, Ephesians 5:28-29, 30)
4. We are to fulfill her need for intimate conversation. We are to listen to her thoughts about events of the day with sensitivity, interest and concern. We are to have conversations with our wives so that we understand her, not change her. (Song of Solomon 2:8-14, 8:13-14, I Peter 3:7)
Provide and Protect
5. We are to fulfill our wives need for honesty and openness. We are to look into her eyes and tell her what we really thin (Ephesians 4:15). We are to explain our plans and actions clearly and completely because we regard ourselves as being responsible for our wives. We must ensure that she feels secure and trusts us. (Proverbs 15:22-23)
6. We are to give her home support and stability. We are to take on the responsibility of feeding, clothing and maintaining a place to live for the family. We are not to feel sorry for ourselves when things get tough. We are to look for ways to improve our home life. We are to have a desire to raise our families to a higher level.
7. We are to have some personal time, but should also find some hobbies that both we and our wives enjoy together.